020 8998 3707
Personal Care and Support Services
Our Services  Funding Sources

Can you get financial help for


In some circumstances you or your loved one may be eligible for financial help  with paying for care. There are several possible sources of help you should look into, they are outlined on this page together with links to more detailed information. 1. Are you or your loved one entitled to free NHS ‘Continuing Healthcare’? If a person’s needs are ‘health’ needs  rather than than more general ‘care’ needs they are entitled to NHS funding. See Continuing Healthcare for further information. 2. Are you or your loved one entitled to assistance from your Local Authority? Local Authorities provide help with some kinds of care, but this is mean tested. See Local Authority funding. 3. Are you or your loved one entitled to receive any benefits? You may be entitled to receive a ‘Carers Allowance’ or a ‘Carer Premium’, and your loved one may be entitled to a  ‘Personal Independence Payment’, or a ‘Disability Living Allowance’ or a ‘Attendance Allowance’. See Benefits for further details. In organizing financial matters for you and your loved one you may also look into obtaining ‘Lasting Power of Attorney’ and seek advice from an Independent Financial Advisor.’

NHS Continuing Healthcare

If your or your loved ones main care need is classed as a ‘health’ need rather than an ongoing need for care because of, say, general frailty, the NHS is responsible for providing fully funded care - whereever a person lives, whether that’s a care home or their own home.


Anyone over 18 who has a need for continuing care resulting from disability, accident or illness which cannot be satisfied by ordinary NHS services alone can apply for NHS Continuing Healthcare. Who iwill in practice be successful in obtaining NHS Continuing Healthcare is an impossible question. Budgetary pressures mean most applications are refused. It is probably true to say to get NHS Continuing Healthcare means you will have to research your case diligently and argue it persistently.


1. Ask your doctor or social worker to arrange an assessment. 2. The next step is an initial screening. A nurse, doctor or social worker will assess care needs using a checklist covering these things. The purpose of the initial screening is to decide whether your case is strong enough to proceed to a full assessment 3. If your case is deemed strong enough you will go forward to a second assessment. This is performed by two health care or social care professionals. Using the same checklist as the first assessment they will rank care needs in each area as low, moderate, high or severe. Click here for a description of how serious care needs must be to qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare. 4. If you are refused NHS Continuing Care you can ask your local Clinical Commissioning Group, Health Board or Social Care Trust to review their decision. If is was based on an initial assessment alone you can ask for a full assessment, and if it was based on a full assessment you can see all the evidence that was taken into account and contribute new evidence. You must do this within six months of the original decision.   .

Personal Health Budget

People living in England who succeed in obtaining NHS Continuing Healthcare can choose to receive their assistance in the form of a Personal Health Budget. Obviously this gives you extra flexibility because you decide how to spend the money, but, at the same time, you get the added burden of having to research exactly what services are available in your area and ascertain which service providers offer the quality you want.

NHS Funded Nursing Care

If your application for NHS Continuing Health Care is unsuccessful you may be eligible for NHS Funded Nursing Care. However this only applies to people who reside in care homes registered to provide nursing care and is unavailable to people living in their own homes.

Local Authority Funding

Local Authorities provide places in residential homes, and they also provide a range of services for people wishing to remain in their own homes. These include carers, meals, transport, modifications to homes to make them safe and useable, and living equipment. Local Authority help is means tested. You must have savings and assets of no more than £23,250 (in England) to be eligible. However your Local Authority is obliged to provide a Care Needs Assessment which will identify your care needs and any assistance you qualify for. If your Care Needs Assessment determines you are in need of care, the Local Authority will perform a Financial Assessment (or Means Test) to determine how much, if any, of the costs they will bear. As a result of the assessment they will pay some, all or none of the costs of care. If you wish to challenge your Local Authority’s refusal to meet your care costs, see here.


Contact your Local Authority Social Services Department and arrange for a Care Needs Assessment.  


Benefits available to carers

You may be eligible to receive a Carer’s Allowance of £62.70 a week (2017-18) if: You spend at least 35 hours a week caring for someone who themselves receives a benefit Are 16 or over Do not study for 21 hours per week or more Earn no more than £116 per week (after deductions).


Click here. If you are ineligible for a Carer’s Allowance, you may receive a Carer’s Credit (a National Insurance credit towards your pension) if also: You are over 16 You are not in receipt of your state pension You spend at least 20 hours a week caring for someone


Click here. Additionally you may receive a Carer Premium if you already receive a Carer’s Allowance (or are entitled to one), and: Income Support Universal Credit Housing Benefit Council Tax Support Income Based Jobseekers Allowance Income-related Employment and Support Allowance


Check correspondence you have received about benefits you already receive and contact the office dealing with your benefits and tell them you are in receipt of a Carer’s Allowance and want to know if you are entitled to a Carer Premium.

Benefits Available to Those Needing Care

You may be eligible for an Attendance Allowance if: You are over 65 You need personal care because of illness or accident You have needed care for at least six months. Attendance Allowance in the year 2017-18 is either £83.10 (for those needing care day and night), or £55.65 (for those needing care day or night.)


Click here. People who lack mobility or have difficulty with everyday tasks can claim a Personal Independence Payment. (PIP)  This is tax free and is unaffected by your income or savings. PIP has two parts, firstly those who lack mobility receive an allowance to help moving around, and, secondly, those needing personal care receive a daily living component. In 2017-18 the PIP Mobility component is either £55.65 as a standard rate, or £83.10 for those with more serious needs. The PIP Mobility component is £22 as a standard rate, or £58 for those with more serious needs.


Click here.

email us